Everyone knows that an estate plan can ensure your heirs receive the right inheritance. But did you know there are other benefits too? Here’s five things a good estate plan can for you.
- Protect Against Disability – No, your estate plan can’t prevent disability from striking but it can certainly ensure that you and your estate are protected if it happens. Using Powers of Attorney such as an Advanced Health Care Directive and General Durable Power of Attorney can ensure that your medical wishes are followed and that your finances are handled by someone you trust.
- Provide Incentives to Your Heirs – With the right planning tools, you can do much more than leave your heirs a lump sum estate. Instead, you can create incentives for them to excel and achieve by offering inheritance bonuses for graduating college, getting married or other milestones. You can also set it up so that your heirs’ inheritance matches whatever income they earn each year. If they want a bigger inheritance, they must find a way to earn a better living.
- Avoid Probate – Yes, with the right tools, your estate plan can help your heirs stay out of probate court. This makes the whole property distribution process much smoother and ensures that the details of your estate remain private.
- Sponsor A Charity – There are certain types of trusts that allow you to structure assets so that they benefit both your heirs and your favorite charity. Donating this way also provides significant tax breaks to all parties involved.
- Protect Disabled Dependents – A Special Needs Trust can ensure that your disabled dependent continues to qualify for important government assistance programs while still enjoying the benefits of his or her inheritance.
Of course, that’s not all an estate plan can do, but it’s a good start. To learn more about how a good estate plan can make your life easier, contact our office today.
Latest posts by Courtesy of Armstrong, Fisch, & Tutoli Attorneys at Law (see all)
- UNDERSTANDING YOUR 401(K): TRADITIONAL VS. ROTH - November 11, 2019
- HOW TO ENSURE YOUR INSURANCE MONEY GOES TO THE INTENDED BENEFICIARY - November 11, 2019
- THREE COMMON RETIREMENT INVESTMENT ERRORS - November 11, 2019
Securities offered through Avantax Investment Services SM, Member FINRA, SIPC. Investment Advisory Services offered through Avantax Advisory Services SM. Placing business through Avantax Insurance Services SM. CA# 0D57837